Tuesday, October 16, 2007

the word thEir

i'm sitting at my desk in the luxurious world headquarters of The Skinny Improv and UpSide Down Creative Group. I sy luxurious because my desk is next to a window that overlooks a parking lot, and is located directly over a dumpster that has found a way to reproduce its own smell depsite being dumped nightly. I'm working on a letter to mom groups located in the ozarks to let them know about The Springfield Playhouse, the children's theatre arm of our little empire. We have a new production this weekend coming up called "Murray, The Dragon Who Saved Halloween." It's about this dragon named Murray who has to save halloween from the clutches of Lord Messypants Von Apple Struedel. You should come see it. It's funny. Anyway... as i'm writing this email i notice that i really suck at spelling the word their. Now i know i suck at it so i'm fixing it by spelling it t-h-e-i-r, i used to spell it t-h-i-e-r. I've been doing this for years. I was first pointed out to my flaw by a friend who read a press release i sent out and just kindheartly let me know i was wrong. Now im super sensitive to it. I've been doing it wrong for years, normally if i'm writing or typing and im not sure how to spell a word i'll just pick a new word rather than look it up and learn it. i dont' know if this is healthy or not. Plus side, i'm learning alot of new words... down size... i dont know how to spell and i'm not getting smarter.

So it goes back to their. i ask myself... what else did i thought i was good at only to find out that i suck at it. this their word could be the unraveling of a sweater of comfort that ive worn for years. let's ride this sweater analogy to the ground.. shall we? i made this sweater, this sweater of thier... i spent hours and years crafting it, making it my own, weaving it into something i can always fall back on. but now? now a huge effing searchlight has shown that my sweater sucks. that what i thought was a subtle but powerful part of me, looks like a drunk bear on vicoden made it in the dark. self-reflection is tough. but one good part of me is that once i see a glaring weakness i work my best to fix it. so now i find myself stopping and asking... did i spell it right? and eventually it will become habit and i won't have to worry about that speed bump anymore... i can just fly by in my sexy spellchecked speedster laughing at the morons who can't spell... yes.. that will be a fine day where i race through the streets and bask in my rightness of writeness. Until i run smack dab into a wall called cinamon.. or is it cinamonn.. or... crap... i hate that word. so... now i'll just change it to "a wall called something that tastes good with apples and can be used to regulate my blood sugar in addition to my daily medicines"

there problem solved, that's much easier than actually learning how to spell a word. yes. that's much better, it should really make me a better person.

ok. back to emailing random moms.

8 comments:

DrBuddha said...

Cinnamon.
Anytime you're unsure just call me. I am the human spellchecker.

Leah Dian with no "e" said...

I found out not too long ago that I have always said unindate instead of inundate. In meetings, on the phone, in front of professors, on the golf course. That's pretty humbling... Do you feel better now?

Jason said...

I can't believe you would go on record and risk the wrath of the Spelling Nazis out there!

Gregory Holman said...

The defense of the language takes up, like, 30 percent of my job. That and cute patio sets.

Tell me all your thoughts on... said...

you spelled vicodin wrong...

Matt Lemmon said...

I think your mistake is at least as forgivable as writing it like this: "they're." At least you could pass it off as a typo.

Wolfshui said...

...i wouldn't have realized it, firefox's spell check is the best thing that ever happened to my typing life.

Fresh Ink said...

Dude, time for another blog.